Both BP Spain and the Comillas Pontifical University agree that one of the most serious challenges mankind faces today is to achieve a model of sustainable development. They are aware of the obstacles which hamper the way to this goal: an economic growth model that clashes with sustainability if it is spread to the whole world's population; the intensive use of known energy resources and its damaging impact on the environment; huge social and economic inequalities between peoples and nations that destabilize cultural and social systems and create large migratory flows; and a globalized economy which contributes to deepen the gap between the rich and the poor, just to mention some of the most relevant issues.
Aiming to promote studies, training and spreading actions related to this field, both institutions signed a Framework Agreement of Collaboration on November 29th, 2002. As a result, on December 13th, 2002, a Resolution by the University's Board of Directors created the BP Chair on Energy and Sustainability, which is linked to the ICAI School of Engineering. For further information, please, click on the document of the BP Chair's definition
Thanks to the joint collaboration of the Comillas Pontifical University and BP Company
- Director: José Ignacio Pérez Arriaga
Pedro Linares Llamas
Rafael Cossent Arín
- Associated Members:
Renato Dias Bleasby Rodrigues
Adela Conchado Rodríguez
José Carlos Romero Mora
José Bellver Soroa
- Scientific Committee Members:
Richard Schmalensee (Professor of Economics, Emeritus - MIT)
Christian Egenhofer (Senior Fellow - Center for European Policy Studies)
Thomas Briggs (BP, plc)
Mariano Marzo (Catedrático Recursos Energéticos - Universidad de Barcelona)
Ignacio Pérez Arriaga (MIT - UPComillas)
Pedro Linares Llamas (UPComillas)
- BP Chair on Energy and Sustainability
- ICAI School of Engineering
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas
- C/ Alberto Aguilera, 25
- 28015 Madrid
Tel.: (+34) 91 542 28 00
Fax: (+34) 91 559 65 69
- BP Spain Website.
- BP Sustainability Report 2008.
- "Statistical Review of World Energy 2009" Website and related information
- Link to the european project Waste Train
- Agreement renewed between UPCO and BP in relation to "BP Chair on Energy and Sustainability" (spanish)
- Book "El Ingeniero del ICAI y el Desarrollo Sostenible"
- "BP Energy Outlook 2030" London, January 2011
- "BP Energy Outlook 2030" Press Release